Sunday, August 18, 2013

Trunk Show

Yesterday, Natalia Bonner was at The Cotton Shop telling us about her quilts, the quilting she does and the books she writes!  Her quilts have lots of negative space which is the modern trend these days and all that negative space makes a fabulous place to show off lots of quilting.  And I was surprised at how soft her quilts were even with all the quilting.  I believe the difference must be that she uses a finer thread and also prefers an 80/20 batting.  The 80 being cotton the 20 being polyester.

Due to the space, these are just snapshots but will give you an idea of Natalia and her work.
All solids... love, love, love!

Her mother made the quilt and she did the quilting.  This quilt won a prize and was featured in a magazine.  It was also in the Springville Quilt show and won a prize there.  One of my favorites, well all those cardinals, who could not love it!?!


Solids!  Lime Green!

Be. Still. My. Heart.  ORANGE!
 This last quilt is on the cover of Natalia's first book which is a book on how to quilt on your DSM..Domestic Sewing Machine not a long arm but the sewing machine that might be sitting right on your kitchen table this very minute.  I found the book quite helpful because while my machine is a long arm, it is stationary and I move the quilt much the same way I do on my Bernina (DSM).

It was a delightful way to spend some time on a Saturday afternoon!

No comments: