Tuesday, August 20, 2013

An Unexpected Ingredient

I wasn't sure I wanted to try this recipe with fresh green beans because they are a summer treat.  I'm glad I did!  I hardly changed it but you can find the original here at 101 Cooking for Two.  I have found several good recipes from this site.
Fresh beets simmering to the left


Green Beans and Tomatoesfrom DrDan at 101 Cooking for Two

1 lb. fresh green beans cut into 1-inch pieces
1 large red bell pepper, cut into a ½-inch dice
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium carrot, grated
4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
1 10.5-oz can Rotel mild tomatoes (I used Western Family brand)
1/3 cup ketchup
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dry basil

Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.  Add onion, red pepper and garlic.  Sauté about 7 minutes or until onion begins to turn translucent.  Add green beans and cook another 5 minutes then add remaining ingredients.

Stir to mix well, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for about 30 minutes or until beans are tender.  Remove lid and simmer to reduce liquid if desired. 

This makes about 6 cups, maybe more.


 Dr. Dan says this is a great healthy recipe that can kick the green bean casserole with canned soup right off the table. I believe it!  I had it for lunch over brown rice and it was fantastic.  And I bet it would be just as good with zucchini in place of the beans.

No comments: