Sunday, August 4, 2013

The "Dog Park"

This of course is not really a dog park, it's the elementary school playground.  Just down the street.  Only a block and a half from the front door.

The other morning I saw a dog running loose inside the fence and there was a woman standing close by.  I asked her if that was her dog and she said yes.  Okay, note to self, saw dog running free with unconcerned owner watching so the area must be all fenced.

Early this morning we were walking by and decided to go in.  Walked the perimeter to make sure all gates were closed and then Dylan was freed from the leash, not something I do at all casually.  He sniffed around but didn't take off running just gradually was farther and farther away from me.  I gave him the test, leaned forward, slapped the sides of my legs and called for him.  He looked at me then cranked it up and came at me full speed. Somewhat frightening actually.  So as not to get exuberantly knocked down, just before he got to me I started doing a little happy dance and cheering.  Yay! Yahoo!  Good boy, Dylan!  He slowed to stop because he knew what was coming...TONS OF PRAISE!!!!  Those are the exact words I use, tons of praise, enthusiastically and along with a good head rub.

We did that two more times and I felt good about it.  Of course there were no distractions and while Dylan was exploring I was picking up water bottle caps. 

There have been dogs playing on those grounds as long as I have lived here and I have taken the boys in the snow but I was always worried about dog poop getting missed and left behind and of course that the area was not totally fenced in at that time.  Now I know several people that take their dogs down to the "park" but you do need to be there early early in the day or very late because there are lots of pick-up soccer games after school.
This made me feel good too, permission of sorts. 
And for the record, it's much easier to keep your eyes on just one dog.


No comments: