Monday, August 19, 2013

Got Zukes?

Actually the title should be Need Zukes because whenever I am asked if I would like some zucchinis, I enthusiastically say: YES PLEASE!!

This recipe gets a thumbs up from me and Torey too!  I love hummus and the only kind I make is a Roasted Red Pepper recipe.  It's nice to have an alternate.  I guess I also could have titled this post as Garbanzos, part 2.  This week I bought the dry kind and they need less soaking and cooking time than most other legumes.  It might be the highlight of the week :-)

Roasted Zucchini and Onion Hummus adapted from Serious Eats
3 to 4 medium zucchini, cut into rough dice (about 4 cups)
1 medium red onion, peeled and chopped (about 1 cup)
3 tablespoons olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
3 medium cloves garlic, smashed, peels removed
2 tablespoons tahini paste
3 tablespoons lemon juice (I used the kind in the green bottle)
1 teaspoon Tajin (a blend of chili power and dried lime)

Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 400°F. Toss zucchini and onion with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Turn onto a rimmed baking sheet and roast, stirring once or twice, until vegetables are tender and browned, about 20 minutes.   Ovens vary and my zucchini was cooked but not browned so I ran it under the broiler for a few minutes.

Add roasted vegetables and all the remaining ingredients to the bowl of a food processor or use an immersion blender.  Process until smooth.  Add a bit of water if mixture is too thick. Taste, adding more oil, lemon, or seasoning as needed.  I added a little more salt and pepper.

No comments: