Friday, July 25, 2014

Minimalism

First, we listened to our man Doug interview The Minimalists, Joshua Fields Millburn and Ryan Nicodemus about their memoir Everything That Remains.  You can listen to that here.  Then we read the book. Now we have discovered Miss Minimalist too and are waiting on the library reserve lists to read her book as well.

Sherise, her sister, and her mother have jumped in and now I feel like I need to participate as well.  You start with the easy stuff first and so I was like the Energizer Bunny out in the garage on Wednesday morning running back and forth to the garbage and recycling bins waiting at the curb for pick-up. Both were less than a quarter full and that's just foolish.  I did manage to fill both to the top before the trucks came.  (Another time when I wondered if there was anyone surreptitiously filming.)

The prize
I have been trying to clean up the old wood scraps, tossing some into the bottom of the garbage can each week.  I was chided for not finding someone who could use them for fireplace or campfire burning.

Well ha!  MNCarol and her family camp so when I found this box of crafting wood waaaaaay in the back of the garage, I asked her if they could use it and she said yes!

Yay!  Probably 20 pounds of pine pieces all the same length, trimmed ends that came from someone's (not mine) building project.  Notice the "G" for garage on the top of the box?  That wood was moved from Illinois in 1990.  It's certainly dry enough to burn.

It's a start and it would be very nice if I could store the outside furniture in the garage over winter.

1 comment:

Sherise Crosby said...

Love it! Sounds like you'll have plenty of room in the garage come winter!