Monday, March 5, 2012

Polysyllabic: adjective


1: having more than one and usually more than three syllables
2:  characterized by words of many syllables

I prefer to think of it as a sign of the texting mentality rather than sheer lip laziness but for a long time I let this syllable severing annoy me.  It sounds so uneducated to my ear.  Now I am able to just shrug it off, shake my head and re-affirm my self-commitment not to go down that slope.

I had started a list of specifics some time ago and then didn’t care anymore.  This morning when I read paci-clip, I remembered these:  

Cardi = cardigan
Catty = catalog
Panto = pantograph
Siggy = signature (quilt)

You can see that many arts/crafts are included and I suppose even painters, beaders and sculptures might have some words to add.  Is this practice something that would show up in a cultural anthropology book?

“Paci” was referring to pacifier.  Maybe you knew that.

2 comments:

SeeJulieStamp said...

It is my opinion that if you have to explain it to someone then you should have just used the entire word. Shortening it saved you no time. :D

WebDeb said...

regs = registrations

Time saved: 75%

I feel my life lengthening just thinking about this topic.