Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Everyone Should Have One

Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day

Isn't this book weight a fabulous idea?   Very practical and while I was thinking I would use it in the sewing room, it turns out the kitchen is also a great place.

Today I made Spicy Chicken Pizza for dinner and I made the crust from the Olive Oil Dough recipe in this book which was on my shelf.  Actually the Spicy Chicken Pizza recipe was recommended by my sister and she found it on The Baking Addict's website.   I followed her recipe exactly except I halved it.

Spicy Chicken and Pepper Jack Pizza - The Baking Addict
1 Tbsp. canola or olive oil
1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
3 cups diced fresh red, yellow and green bell peppers (I used all red)
1 (13.8 oz.) tube refrigerated pizza dough (I used 1lb of homemade crust)
1/2 cup salsa (I used fresh salsa)
2 cups (8 oz.)
pepper jack cheese
Chopped cilantro or dried oregano (optional)
1 ½ cups cooked and shredded chicken
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes. Add bell peppers; sauté 5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
2. Meanwhile, unroll pizza dough onto a 15 x 10-inch jelly roll pan coated with cooking spray; press dough evenly to all edges of pan. Bake in preheated 425°F 8 minutes. 3. Stir salsa into cooked vegetables; spread over partially baked crust. Top with chicken and cheese.
3. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until crust is deep golden brown. Cut into squares; garnish with cilantro or oregano if desired.
Notes:  Adapted from Sargentos,  serves 3-4 

Olive Oil Dough - from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day 
Yield: Makes 4-1 lb loaves
2-3/4 cups lukewarm water
1-1/2 tablespoon granulated yeast (2 packets)
1-1/2 tablespoons Kosher salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
6-1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1. In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, or in a large (5 quart) bowl working with a wooden spoon, mix the yeast, salt, sugar, and olive oil with the water.
2. Mix in the flour without kneading. I found this process to be incredible simple with my stand mixer, but it will certainly come together the old fashioned way. If you are not using a machine, you may need to wet your hands in order to incorporate the bit of flour.
3. Transfer dough to large (5 quart) bowl or lidded food container. Cover (not airtight), and allow to rest at room temperature until dough rises and collapses (or flattens on top), approximately 2 hours.
4. The dough can be used immediately after the initial rise, though it is easier to handle when cold. Refrigerate in a lidded (not airtight) container and use over the next 12 days.
...........

I cut the entire recipe in half including the dough.  That still left me with 2 pounds of dough, fps, and I used only a fourth of that for the pizza crust.  Fortunately,  there is an entire chapter in the book on flatbreads and pizza.  The dough will become more flavorful/sour as it sits in the fridge.  Maybe I will make focaccia over the weekend!

Loved the red peppers and onions but the Pepper Jack cheese is really too spicy for me.  Next time I will just use Monterey Jack cheese.

Guess I will have to change the recipe name.


No comments: