Friday, May 3, 2013

The Great Train Adventure

Sherise and I went to SLC yesterday on public transportation!  It was a fabulous experience for me, this wild and crazy leap into the 21st century and I intend to become an evangelist.  Today I will be stopping in at our LYS to give a first hand account to Elizabeth who will be taking her first trip tomorrow and is going by herself.  Sherise had been on the FrontRunner before and she had all the schedules and our trip times written out so we could see them quickly and be ready to handle any changes in our activities.

Provo is the beginning/end of the line so that eliminates some worries.  You start at the ticket kiosk by touching your destination, one way or round trip, and regular or senior fare.  For me the round trip price to SLC was $6.10 for Sherise it was twice as much.

We passed this screen on our way to the train and were momentarily confused.  It had a bright yellow green label that said tap so we did but nothing spewed out, no computer asked us what we were doing and there was no message on the screen.  We moved on.  That is not my hand wearing the green nail polish.


  Our train!  I don't know the girl in the picture but she was a first-timer too.  And don't you love that there is Art!?!  Some cars are multi-level and some are designed so you can roll your bike right in.  Fabulous!

I'm not positive but I think most of the seats are two and two facing each other at least on this top level.  Some have tables, you can see that in the next set of seats in the picture.  There were maintenance people that passed through wiping and sweeping.  There are no ticket takers but I guess periodically there are spot ticket checkers.

This is where we got off, where FrontRunner meets Trax.  Very easy!  We got off of the FrontRunner train, walked cross this plaza and crossed the tracks to the Sandy blue-line Trax.  It took us right to the City Center on Main Street.  We popped around the mall, stopping in Anthropologie, where I had never been, Teavanna, where I had never been and I believe I will be a big f-a-n, and the Apple Store where I have become truly smitten with the iMac.  


There are electronic information boards around to help you.  Also, Sherise's iPhone was handy because we could pull up maps to consult.  I'm just sayin'.

It was a lovely afternoon and an all around great experience.  Now we are searching for new adventures in Salt Lake so we can ride the train!

(Oh, and the small screen we tapped in vain is for people with passes.)

1 comment:

WebDeb said...

OK, so when you saw the yellow green label that said tap, did it occur to you to start dancing?