Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Pork Tenderloin, Brined & Rubbed

A different kind of pig!
On Sunday I made Pork Tenderloin - Memphis Style from the 101 Cooking for Two blog.  I made a few small changes in the rub but mostly the change was not grilling it and instead putting it in the oven.  I also browned it first in a skillet which I would skip next time.  Every time I turned it the rub kept chipping off. 

Brine:
4 cups cold water
4 tablespoons table salt
3 tablespoons brown sugar

Mix brine ingredients in a one gallon ZipLoc bag shake to dissolve sugar and salt.  Let sit in refrigerator if necessary until sugar and salt are dissolved.  Meanwhile, remove any fat and silver skin from tenderloin then place in brine and refrigerate for 1 to 4 hours.  I let it brine for 4 hours. While tenderloin is brining, make the

Rub:
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon cayenne

Mix all ingredients well and set aside until you are done with the brining.

Remove tenderloin from brine, rinse to remove excess salt and pat dry.  Place tenderloin on a large piece of plastic wrap.  Reserve about a quarter of the rub then sprinkle and roll the tenderloin in the remaining rub,  finishing by wrapping the tenderloin snugly in the plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1-2 hours.

Remove tenderloin from refrigerator 20 - 30 minutes prior to roasting to allow it to come to room temperature or at least to take some of the chill off.  It is not in the oven very long.  Preheat oven to 425°.  I also preheated the stone bar pan I used.  It has low sides and I think works well for this.

Sprinkle remaining rub over tenderloin and roast until internal temperature reaches 140-145°, about 20 minutes.  Remove, lay a piece of foil over top and let sit for 5-10 minutes.  For best results, meat should have a wee bit of pink showing.

I did not use additional barbeque sauce as I thought the seasoning was perfect and the meat nicely moist.  I served this with the Asian Ramen Cabbage salad.

Today I had the leftover meat diced and used in tacos, adding lettuce, sour cream and this fabulous salsa:


No comments: