Friday, June 8, 2012

The Utensil Drawer

A couple of my friends are currently in purge mode.  Perhaps it just happens to we women of a certain age.

So not to be left out, today I filled a third of a paper grocery bag with stuff from the utensil drawer.  A strawberry stem remover, not to be confused with the strawberry huller, also tossed, FOUR citrus peelers, chopsticks from carry-out, the odd plastic spoon, a handful of plastic straws and you can imagine how they looked kicking around in that drawer for who know how many years!  Plastic caps for bottles from the days before plastic bottles with screw-on caps.  Oh my what a lot of junk!

I have four drawers in one cabinet and each one is deeper than the one above it.  Silly.  Much easier to have shallow drawers and more of them but I'm guessing more drawers means higher cost.

This was just the first pass through the utensils.  It would probably be a good idea to just dump the drawer and then put everything that seems worth saving into a plastic box and put that in the laundry room.  If I never go into the box, well there you go, decision made.

I did not throw out the turkey basting pins because do they even make those anymore and they take up no room at all.  Plus, I found a couple more plastic pan scrapers from Pampered Chef!  I am always semi-hysterical when I think the one on the sink is lost.  Best tool ever and most often used!

1 comment:

WebDeb said...

I subscribe to the "put everything in a box WITH A DATE ON IT" and if you haven't had to open it by its first anniversary, neatly toss entire box without a backwards glance and NO GUILT.