Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Storing and Sorting

Big sale yesterday on peanut butter.  $1.79 for the 16.3-oz. jar (formerly known as the 18-oz. jar).  On top of that there was a surprise in-store manufacturer's coupon for 50 cents!  These small jars are perfect for me and since I am an almond butter convert, I mostly use peanut butter for magic sauce and the occasional spoon-snack.

Last week I bought 24 cans of Cuban recipe black beans at 33 cents a can.  The problem with bulk buying is that I do not have bulk storage space.  I could put things under the bed or under the sofa but I would forget about them.  Creative re-arranging needed!

Gaye recently reminded me that effective organizing is single layer, not stacked.  We were talking about bowls and containers but I think it works other ways as well.
This is a middle shelf so while I can't reach the peanut butter unaided, I can see them.  Most importantly, there is only one row of grains and the seasoning container, in front of the peanut butter.  That's important because again, if I don't see it I will forget about it and all of a sudden I discover things on the shelf that were best by 2004.

Now.. the beans.


1 comment:

SeeJulieStamp said...

I had to put all my grains and powdered items in plastic or glass. Weevils! Ick!