Thursday, May 17, 2012

Recipes Revealed and Reviewed

Crockpot Caramelized Onions - Dorothy

 I followed the recipe found here, exactly.  Well not quite exactly because I had in my mind 8 hours in the crockpot and the recipe says 10-12.  Consequently, my onions, while sweet and tasty, were not caramelized until I put them in a frying pan for 10 minutes.  This is so easy to do that I will try it again, following the directions.


3-4 pounds of yellow onions, not sweet onions
3 tablespoons olive oil or butter (my choice)

Cut onions in half, stem to bottom; peel and then slice in 1/4-inch moons.
Fill crockpot and add oil or butter on top.
Cover and cook on high for 10-12 hours.

If you read the original recipe, she gives you a good explanation about which onions to use.


Meatless Spaghetti Sauce - Smitten Kitchen


I'm not even sure how I stumbled onto this one but it worked out because I have a 3 quart crockpot and had onion halves left from the above recipe!  The original recipe is here, I used what I had.

And no, these are not my tomatoes.  :-)




1 (14,5-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
1 (14,5-oz.) can stewed tomatoes, Italian style
5 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, peeled and cut in half
1 large clove of garlic, peeled

Put all ingredients into a pot and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to a slow simmer.  Simmer on low (there should be some bubbling) for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking up tomatoes.

Remove onion and garlic before serving.  I added no salt because the canned tomatoes had enough.  I did add 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper.

approx. 3 cups  (one for dinner, two for the freezer)

Yum!  Love this!



No comments: