Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Summer Reading

Reminds me of last year when we sat knitting in the shady afternoons
A couple of weeks ago our NPR program, RadioWest had a program on Summer Reading.  Doug Fabrizio invited three book store owners to give their suggestions.  It's a great opportunity to find a new author, a new topic, a new genre.

So far, I've been disappointed.  Lucky for us, one did not need a pencil and paper to quickly scribe down any titles as they were mentioned as they are published in a day or two on RadioWest's website.  These are the titles from my list that I was able to find at our library:

Between  You and Me: Confessions of a Comma Queen - Mary Norris*
Dead Wake, The Last Crossing of the Lusitania - Erik Larson
Seveneves - Neal Stephenson*
Sunken Cathedral - Kate Walbert**
The Book of Aron - Jim Shepard
Dear Committee Members - Julie Schumacher

* = on hold
** = on hold then I removed it from hold when I read part of one of her other books and was so confused as to time and who was speaking because it changed so often, that I wanted to open a vein.

I got a notice today that I can pick up Dead Wake.  The other thing I did not care for in the Kate Walbert book was that it was a narrative with miniscule dialogue. I started The Book of Aron and it too was a narrative so that one went back without even getting to page 50.  Dear Committee Members was enjoyable!  I'm not sure there is any dialogue in Dead Wake but msCarol said it was riveting and she could barely put it down.  I also heard an interview with Erik Larson earlier this year and he was enthusiastic about the story and his research.

Canada by Richard Ford is another interview I heard on NPR and another book I checked out recently.  Same genre, narrative with little dialogue. Did not get into it at all.

Still, a most enjoyable book I read this summer is, In A Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson, narrative, not much dialogue, but non-fiction. I believe everyone should have this on their shelf for the blue days of winter.  Very funny. His Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid is great and especially fun to listen to him reading it.

It's a big library, though.
A cool drink, small bag of snacks, knitting, nook, iPad,
and perhaps a towel to mop my brow?







No comments: