Tuesday, June 4, 2013

4x


I could be stressed about this but I am not.  I was the first to sign up for the two socks at a time Magic Loop  or Two Circulars class.  I was excited to give sock making another try!  I can do it!!

Not happy with what I did that first night so I ripped it out and got a slightly heavier weight yarn and slightly bigger needles.  Watched a YouTube video on the Magic Loop cast on and decided to start one sock rather than two, just as a practice/warm-up.

After about 6 rows, I was fairly confident I knew what I was doing, ripped out the practice work and cast on two socks.  Was amazingly successful and went to bed happy about the experience.

This morning I picked up where I left off and was doing fine until I suspected I had the work upside down, kind of.  Fiddled around a bit longer but decided it would wise to just carry it to the store and seek help.  We fixed the problem.

At home again, I got back at it and then was sure there was still something wrong because I was still picking up an extra stitch on one side of each row.  Figured out how to work around that and then as I was really thinking about it I realized that I was only knitting half a row at a time.  One row on sock one with an increase and one row on sock two with an increase, turn the work and knit a plain row on the back of sock one and knit a plain row on the back of sock two.  I thought I was on row 22 and actually I had only knit 11 rows and those rows had increases on just one side.  I was going to have to find a person with stub feet with the top of their foot in a noticeable wedge shape, wider on the bottom. 

Heavy sigh.

Must try again.  Perseverance and all that.

No comments: