Friday, April 5, 2013

Spitting

Gross and disgusting and even more so when a woman does it.  Yes, I was witness to that.  Eeuuw.

When people spit, I say to myself, upbringing.  When my beloved iron starts spitting, I cry out Noooooo and try not to fall to my knees weeping.  Dogs snap awake, jump to their feet and start barking.  Panic ensues and rightly so.


I spent more than an hour giving the self-cleaning (ha) iron a vinegar treatment.  Because the iron turns off after 15 second of not moving, the only way for me to steam the vinegar through was to stand over the sink waving the iron around.  The noxious fumes took much of the fun out it.

I had to attack the calcium deposits around the steam vents with a toothbrush and when it was ready for a test run I was lucky to have a pile of clean kitchen towels that were waiting to be ironed.

End result is that it doesn't spit while ironing but it will spit occasionally when I lean it back into its resting position.  If I am ironing solid fabric I don't use the steam at all anymore but use Mary Ellen's Best Press diluted with water and a dry iron.

A lot of quilters do not use steam but I always have so I am missing it!  I know I am an iron abuser because it is plugged in every day for most of the day.  Irons have a short life in this house so I do not spend a lot of money on them.  Still... there is a cool looking cordless iron on my wish list.  Maybe if I get a tax refund.

No comments: