Saturday, April 13, 2013

HHW


Household Hazardous Waste collection day!

The city does this once, maybe twice a year.  Today the collection site was on the west side of the mall and they had quite the set up with police barricades to indicate where to enter and exit as well as drop-off lanes.

I had quite a bit of old paint that had been in the garage for years, a small box of aerosols, years and years of old dead batteries since I have already been using rechargeables for years and a couple of CFLs.  All of the workers were wearing white haz-mat suits which did make one pause to think about the whole thing.  I never had to get out of the car as there were BYU volunteers unloading.  One guy was griping about all the "freeking" paint that was being dropped off by everyone.  I'm guessing 9:30 am was too early in the morning for him but I was sorry I didn't have a box with this on the outside to give them something to talk about.
Just kidding of course, radioactive materials were on the What NOT to Bring list.

I'm counting this as a good to the earth offset for the bad for the earth caving I have done by putting chemicals on the lawn again after all these years.

Oh and there was a student asking questions about where you lived, how did you hear about it and would you be willing to pay something to drop these things off.  While I was thinking of how much I might be willing to pay she said like $15 and I said sure because I was about to say $20.  Thinking about it now though, I wonder if that would deter some people and I suspect yes it would and more than just some.

1 comment:

WebDeb said...

This is just the way it works by us, and I am anxious to see something scheduled SOON. I think it's a great moneymaker for organizations -- they earn it. It's well worth $25.