Thursday, February 28, 2013

Taco Seasoning

I gave this one a try because, amazingly, I had everything I needed.  It is perfect for me.

Taco Seasoning – (slightly adapted from Barefeet In The Kitchen who adapted from allrecipes)

4 tablespoons of chili powder
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

In a small bowl, stir together all of the spices. Store the seasoning mix in an airtight container.

I tested the mix by making enchiladas.

3/4 lb. ground beef
1  tablespoon of taco seasoning
6 corn tortillas
1 pint jar of tomatoes from my very own garden
1 small can of green chiles
chopped onion
shredded cheese

Brown beef, breaking with the back of a spoon, then drain off any fat.  Add taco seasoning and about a cup of water.  Simmer until water is pretty much gone.

While meat is simmering, add tomatoes and chilis to a small saucepan and simmer.  I let them reduce about a third and then pushed the mixture through a sieve.  I ended up with a nice mild enchilada sauce.  I like this so much that I will never buy a can of enchilada sauce again.  (Also because I bought a case of green chiles when they were on sale.  Yes, 24 cans.  Laughable for a German-American.)

Fill tortillas with meat, onion and cheese and roll tightly.  Hahaha, it's just a suggestion because I can't do it!  I put three tacos in my favorite cooking-for-one Pyrex baking dish.  It's 3 cups, 7x5x1.5 inches and has a plastic lid which makes it nice for refrigerator or freezer.

Cover with sauce, a little more cheese and bake at 350° until top is crispy.  Perfect!

No comments: