Saturday, March 2, 2013

Practicing, Practicing, Practicing

I had done some practicing on smaller pieces, 12x18 and thought it was time to try a larger piece.  This quilt is 36x36.  Jan and I took a class in 2001..  She was making a queen sized quilt for her daughter who was getting married.  I was planning on a full size which is about 80x90.

This is what I had pieced together.  There are more blocks made and more fabric left to make more blocks but really it was at the beginning of my serious quilt making craziness and not many of those pinwheels meet at the center.  I thought it would make a good practice piece and it did.  I learned about moving the quilt around on the table and also how the machine and the operator have to deal with those lumpy pinwheel centers where so many seams meet occasionally.  Top and bottom tension adjustments are a learning curve as well.

So while not something I will even bother to bind and put in the DI box, it was a good piece to practice on.  The extra blocks I callously just tossed.  Now I will go back to 12x18 pieces and practice some more.
I never think to take a stained glass picture until after it is too late  It's a fun effect.
a new blankie for Dylan

No comments: