Saturday, February 2, 2013

A Thrifty Baby Quilt

This quilt is made from scraps left from a quilt top I donated to a humanitarian project in Jan's ward many years ago but the fabric was originally moved here from Illinois.  Heavy sigh.  Because it all coordinated, I was determined to get a baby quilt out of the scraps without having to buy any additional fabric.  It looks like it could be a boy quilt but the prints all have flowers or leaves.



What appears white is actually a cream color.  The borders are muslin.  I was short about a 12 inches when I sewed on the binding and found a solid blue scrap that matched remarkably well.  One block has triangles that are pieced as I had less of the cream prints than the others.  Still I am pleased with the way it turned out.  Even the batting was a scrap and it is also pieced, as is the back.


The quilt had been sitting in a pile, pin basted and just waiting to be quilted.  When I was finishing the quilting around the outer edges I found an uh-oh.


The dark blue piece on the left is too short by about an inch and a half and one of my roommates was snacking!  Name begins with D.  I patched the short section and the chewed edge was still long enough that those ragged edges could be trimmed off.  Honestly, they are not starving, those big dogs.

Quilt is 39"x39". 

Finish #2.  Off to a good start!

No comments: