Thursday, January 31, 2013

"Top Stories"

From the Daily Herald this morning:  "Giffords pleads for gun curbs; NRA fights back".

I don't get it.  I know everyone, it seems like everyone in this state at least, is waving the the 2nd amendment/founding fathers flag so I looked up to see exactly what the amendment says.  I am embarrassed to say how long it has been since I actually accessed the Constitution and I truly expected something much wordier given how often and fervently it is invoked.

 Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed,

 http://www.usconstitution.net/xconst_Am2.html

That's all there is, one sentence.  Easy enough to memorize. 

I'm appalled that a woman, damaged by gun violence, gets up to beg for change and it is the NRA who, once again, gets all the time.

It doesn't make any sense to me and that's when I remembered.  When something makes no sense at all, look for the money.  I haven't heard one word about the gun industry, just the gun lobby.  I think if there is a lobby that means there must be money close by.  Hmm.

Update:  Here is a story that ran on NPR's Morning Edition this morning:

Should Gun Owners have to Buy Liability Insurance?

No comments: