Thursday, January 17, 2013

Suddenly Sixty

And Other Shocks of Later Life is a book by Judith Viorst.  Do you know her?  I recognized her name but I am not sure I have read anything by her before.  Jan loaned me this book and it is most enjoyable!  This is one of her poems I really, really like (not that anyone has asked me this):

When Asked If I Thought That I'd Finally Got It Together

I had it together on Sunday.
By Monday at noon it had cracked.
On Tuesday debris
Was descending on me.
And by Wednesday no part was intact.
On Thursday I picked up some pieces.
On Friday I picked up the rest.
On Saturday, late,
It was almost set straight.
And on Sunday the world was impressed
With how well I had got it together.
Spare me the cheers and applause,
For as the world turns
Every sixty-plus learns
That among life's immutable laws
Is one that we're bound to be bound to
Right through to the end of our days:
That although we may get it together,
Together is not how it stays.




No comments: