Monday, July 2, 2012

Shaded

I decided today was the day I would finally put up the continuous loop roller shade in the living room.  It's custom of course because the whole idea of this particular shade is to make it easy to raise and lower because of the height of the window.  I have trouble actually leaving the ground so jumping up to catch a shade is out of the question.

It's been sitting here since winter began but there was no need for it until now when it is major to keep the sun and heat out.  I tried the brackets in two different places and there was no way it was going to fit.  I even thought a top mount might work but before I drilled again I gave it  a little more thought and because of the angled woodwork the roller mechanism decided it would not sit right.  Then I thought perhaps I could just go over to Home Depot and have them cut down the shade by an inch.  (AN INCH!!)  I'm pretty sure I measured where I wanted the shade to cover and did not consider the mounting mechanisms which are different than regular shades.  Heavy sigh.  I didn't want to leave the house today and it was really annoying that I wasted so much time and sweat over the whole thing because I waited until the sun was up over the mountain to start the project.  I at least thought to call HD and ask about the cutting and was told if the tube was cardboard they could cut it but not if it was metal.  No way to confirm that without unrolling it which you are told not to do until it is mounted.  So I poked around online and even though there was nothing on the instructions to indicate it, discovered that this shade was in fact a Bali Shade and they had a chat line.  Yay.  The answer from customer service was metal.  I really wasn't surprised.

So I stepped away from ladder and window.

I spent another hour at it tonight while the sun was going behind the trees and there was a bit of cooling beginning.  Remounted the brackets in the first holes I drilled and added shims.  That didn't work.   The last option was top mounting.  Awkward and it didn't work anyway.

Tomorrow morning I will put the old cheap vinyl shade back up and learn to jump.

No comments: