Monday, April 30, 2012

Mower Still Trapped in Garage

I'm just mentioning that because this is really about Jack trying not to look at that very scary ramp laying flat on the ground.
 Jack had an appointment at 1 o'clock today with the groomer at PetSmart.  I lured Dylan into his crate with a big dental chew.  I wasn't sure the treat would even get him to go in because he has steadfastly ignored his crate since it was violated by the puppy at Christmas but I was afraid of what damage he might do being left behind.  He was quite vocal about it when he realized Jack and I were leaving without him.

Jack, of course, was beside himself with joy.  I flung open the hatch and he put his front feet on the bumper and that was as far as he got.  He could not jump up and in.  I tried to lift his back end in and could not do it because he wasn't helping at all and then he just gave up.  Sat down.

I tried to get him to get in from the driver's seat, usually their favorite way, particularly with muddy feet.  I crawled over to the passenger's side and offered treats.  Nope.  I got a small plastic table and tried to get his front feet on it hoping I could just shove him in.  No way.  Dragged a 2x8 from the garage to make a ramp.  Oh. No.  A wide piece of shelving that was also long enough to make a ramp.  No.  He wouldn't even try.  Amazingly, I remained dry eyed.

So, I called and cancelled the appointment and they were very nice about it.  Then I went to PetSmart alone and bought an official dog ramp, a small bag of kibble, some very deluxe treats and a Diet Pepsi.  One hundred fifty nine dollars.  Went home had a bit of lunch then took Dylan for his rabies and distemper/parvo shots.  Ninety one dollars, which also included a bag of dental chews.

I'm pleased with the ramp and we tested it out on the deck stairs.  Well, Dylan and I did the testing.  He went up and down several times with those super treats in front of his nose.  Jack wanted no part of it.  Not even the treat could change his mind.  When I folded up the box to put in recycling a paper fell out and they had some tips for helping the dogs to accept the ramp.  First was to just lay it down flat and not make too much of it.  Ahh.  So that's where we are at.  I laid it flat inside the the back door.  Uh no, no good.  So currently it is just leaning up against the wall.  Maybe on Wednesday we'll give it another try.

That Jack.  Mr. Anxiety.


No comments: