Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Looking Back to the Future

This was our adventure today, recycling glass right here in Provo.  There was an article in the newspaper yesterday morning announcing this bin and now instead of driving 12 miles to the closest glass recycling bin, it is only 1 mile!  And this one is the nicest recycling bins of any kind that I have seen.  There is access on both sides and it's a little hard to read but those black squares at the top slide to the side and then you can presort the clear, grean, and brown glass as you toss it in.  I could not see into it, even on tip-toes but from the sound of it, we might have been the very first contributors.  I say we, Min and me, but also because two neighbors also added to the glass collecting container next to our garage.

And to think we had curb pick-up weekly for all types of recycling twenty-five years ago in Illinois.  It still amazes me.

Provo city will start picking up the individual recycling bins weekly as of November 1.  Previously they contracted that out and we had pick up every other week.  Much confusion with new bins and old bins and when that will start (November 1) but the most egregious thing I noticed this morning was Styrofoam sticking out of a recycling bin.  Really?  Are you kidding me?  Styrofoam?

No comments: