Thursday, March 12, 2015

A Classic

I had in mind something with eggs. green chiles, and potatoes for dinner tonight.  What I had on hand ended up as a classic quiche and where else do you go when you want classic, well maybe Julia but I found what I wanted online from Martha.  Still some substitutions since we were going with what was on hand but darn good.  Here is her recipe, different in some significant ways from my interpretation.  My version:

Bacon and Cheese Quiche – adapted from Martha

1 store-bought deep dish single-crust pie dough
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups medium diced yellow onion (from 1 large onion)
Coarse salt and ground pepper
6 large eggs
3/4 cup evaporated milk
3/4 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese (4 ounces) 

Follow package directions and prebake piecrust shell.  Let crust cool slightly.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high. Add onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook until light golden, 8 to 10 minutes.  In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Add onion, bacon, and cheese and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Whisk to combine, pour into crust, and bake at 375⁰ until center of quiche is just set, 40 to 45 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

(I believe this is the beginning of the Epic Pi Day celebration.)

No comments: