Thursday, March 5, 2015

A Case for Spreadsheets

Last month I posted about a helper board that I use for transporting quilting pieces.  Making those boards required a glue gun. I looked high, low, up, down, and in and out of cupboards with no success. My conclusion was that my lack of a glue gun was most likely the result of The Great August Purge last year.

Not exactly.  After I borrowed a glue gun and finished the project, I wondered if the glue gun might be in the storeroom.  Because the storeroom greatly benefited from TGAP, I easily spotted the Rubbermaid box with not one but three glue guns and many glue sticks.  It crossed my mind that it would be a fabulous time saver if I had the location of seasonal or seldom used items on a spreadsheet.

Of course, still in spreadsheet thinking mode, this morning I was on a quest to find a container for a small project.  I wanted something fairly shallow and ideally transparent. No empties around so when I saw the red tin I thought it would do.  It wasn't empty.
 Oh. I have been looking for that dishcloth a long time.  I knit it for a boy with his own apartment, thinking how perfect a variegated dark brown dishcloth would be.  That was more than a year ago and that boy has graduated and no longer has an apartment.  Sigh.

Starting the spreadsheet.  I think it will be called Location, Location, Location!

No comments: