Saturday, May 24, 2014

With Dog

Today I took my friend Susan and we went on a fairly harrowing trip to pick up a rescue dog.  It was fairly harrowing because because while it was barely dripping here in Utah County, by the time we got into Salt Lake County it was raining significantly harder.  The spray from the surrounding traffic made visibility difficult and while I thought I knew how to turn the defroster on, I did not get it right until we were on our way home.  One should not be fiddling with things on the dashboard while traveling at 65 mph.

And unless it is an absolutely perfect day with dry roads, I am not at all fond of driving through Parley's canyon.  And then, we exited at Mountain Dell Reservoir, East Canyon, Little Mountain at which point the low gas light went on and we were in the middle of nowhere with no one around.  We phoned the current fosters and were actually headed correctly and just didn't see the Emigration Canyon arrow.  Got to their road and then had to phone again to find their house as house numbers appear to be optional in their area.  He very graciously emptied his gas can into my tank and we got home just fine on that.  He had given very precise directions but as we were driving I realized there was no trip odometer in the car.  (That seems odd so I will check the manual.)  I was very glad that Susan had come along.  Having another person in the car seems to dilute the stress.

Very nice people and let me just say it is a very, very happy experience to be standing in a group of three swirling Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs and one slightly crazed Entelbucher puppy.  Oh those sweet faces!

So I am the foster home to a sweet two and a half year old female Swissie.  She is a little taller than Dylan was and perhaps a little longer.  She has some health issues, which is why she is a rescue, and will have for the rest of her life.  I am already smitten.

The foster paperwork I signed says that I may not post any pictures of her on a website or any social media until I adopt her.  So, only words today but I should know positively before the end of next week if this is as perfect a match as it seems right now.

Ahhhh... black dog hair is back.

No comments: