Monday, May 26, 2014

The Second Walk

I tried to go back to bed this morning but that did not happen.  Oh I laid down but there was a big black dog wiggling about and staring at me.  She wanted to get out there!

Two amazing things happened.  The first was this:
From Google Images
We were on our west walking loop and out of the corner of my eye I saw something very big and very dark fly overhead.  The turkey vultures roost in a huge Sycamore tree on Center Street.  This morning I counted twenty (20!!) relocating to a huge pine on 100 North.  And there were already birds in the tree!

Up close, these birds are not pretty but oh my, in flight they are incredibly awesome plus because they are gliders, eerily quiet.  They have a wingspan of about six (6!!) feet.

As we stood and watched, the second amazing thing happened.  All of a sudden two Border Collie type dogs come barreling across the street at us.  We just waited for them and the foster dog just stayed still and sniffed her greeting.  Not overly excited just friendly.  What a good girl! 

Last night some neighbors dropped over to meet her and as they approached the fence, she barked twice and that was it. We have a 4-plex behind us with an open stairway.  She does not like that one bit.  None of the dogs do.  Something wrong when people are above their head and "floating".  She startled me with very serious something-is-wrong barking and I'm pretty sure scared the woman coming down those stairs.  She will adjust, all the dogs have.

No comments: