Friday, November 23, 2012

Green Beans and Thanksgiving Re-Cap

The green bean story is that I made three different recipes this year.  I have been having Thanksgiving with Jan and her family for a long time.  We can't seem to pinpoint it exactly but it is many years.  I pretty much can decide what I want to bring and over the years that has included salads, sides, even a turkey one time when I wanted to try brining but I'm pretty sure I have never brought dessert as that is something I do not generally do well.  And really, a Parker Thanksgiving is synonymous with PIE.  Oh and Jan makes fabulous rolls from scratch.  No need for me to mess around there either.


So, this year I brought:
1.  the Green Bean Casserole - which to me is Thanksgiving.  I never have it any other time.
2.  Tangy String Beans - Gaye said this is her family's favorite green bean recipe and something her mother made.   Gaye emailed me this picture from a church cookbook.  It was the one her mom had contributed.  Everyone liked it and I will definitely make it again.
3.  Caramelized Green Beans - this recipe can be found here on Our Best Bites.  I followed the recipe exactly and used frozen green beans.  This one was the favorite, most likely because of the, you know, bacon.  (Stewart said "We are pork fat people."  I'll be laughing about that one for some time.)  I'll make this one again when Don's fresh right-out-of-the-garden green beans are available.

Jan had a girls activity for after dinner.  She had scrapbook supplies, bunches of pictures and we just had at it.  The granddaughters jumped right into it and made pages with pictures of themselves and did a great job of it!  Debbie also did some fabulous pages.  I was more than content to look through the pictures and marvel at the changes over the years.

It was a delightful Thanksgiving day and one of the best so far.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving! I was thinking about you! I vote we have a green bean party and eat all of those dishes because they sound delightful! ...maybe we could have something to go along with it but the beans just sound so good don't they? :)