Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Soup in August?

It sounds crazy but it's because I had fresh corn to use up.  Sadly, my tomatoes are still green so I had to buy these:
The container is empty because the tomatoes are roasting.  I had some issues getting the green top off. I remembered that in Terry's kitchen there was a container of these tomatoes on the counter and I was pretty sure the green part was the bottom.  It didn't make any sense to me but I did finally get the green top removed and got the tomatoes in the oven.  I put the plastic parts in the recycle bin but kept the label to the side so I could take a picture of it.

Why did I want a picture of the label?  Because on the inside of the label it says "Why are other tomatoes only good in August?  Don't they know you cook all year long?"  That made me laugh.  When I turned the label over, to the top side, I noticed other words..."Open Here".  That really made me laugh.

The soup turned out well but I didn't think the tomato flavor was quite strong enough. That could be because the tomatoes I used had traveled from Mexico.  Also I would leave some of the roasted corn to be stirred into the soup.

The recipe, Roasted Sweet Corn and Tomato Soup, came from Our Best Bites right here.
 
3 cups fresh corn kernels (about 4 cobs)
10 ounces cherry tomatoes (about 2 cups)
4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
1 medium onion, any color, diced
8 ounce jar roasted red bell peppers, drained
32 ounces chicken broth (4 cups)
3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon seasoned salt
fresh cracked black pepper
Kosher salt

Place corn, tomatoes, and garlic on a foil-lined baking sheet.  Drizzle with 2 teaspoons olive oil and sprinkle lightly with Kosher salt and pepper.  Gently toss with hands and then arrange in an even, flat layer.  Bake for 15-20 minutes at 400º or until tomatoes are crinkled and burst.

While vegetables are roasting, heat a stock pot to medium high heat on stove top.  Add remaining one teaspoon olive oil and diced onion.  Saute about 5 minutes, or until tender.  Add roasted bell peppers, chicken broth, smoked paprika and chili powder.  Add  seasoned kosher salt and black pepper
When corn and tomatoes are done roasting, add them to the pot, making sure to scrape off all of the bits on the pan.  (If desired, reserve a couple spoonfuls of roasted corn for garnish.)  Bring soup to a low simmer and cover.  Simmer for 20 minutes.

Transfer soup to a blender and puree until smooth.   Add additional salt and pepper (I added cayenne).  Yields about 6 cups of soup.

Nutritional info for 4, 1 1/2 cup servings:
Calories: 168
Carbs: 24 g
Protein: 8 g
Fat: 7 g

This is my version, pretty much the same but since I had no chipolte chili powder I had to adjust.

1 comment:

WebDeb said...

I knew you would make that! We have wonderful tomatoes now and -- finally -- green beans.