Friday, February 10, 2012

Dog Handmaiden


I suppose I really should say Dog Hand-matron so no one laughs but matron evokes an image of a scowling old woman dressed in grey, wearing nun shoes and working in a prison.

So there is always picking up in the yard but feeding is as much a time taker.  Interesting that the two are so related of course.  Every six weeks I haul in approximately 65 pounds of dry food and every week 20 pounds of raw chicken leg quarters.  That ratio changes, mostly related to weather, as I only give the dogs the raw chicken if they can eat it outside. The dry food is decanted into quart jars, one jar = one meal for one dog.  I buy two different kinds of dry food and put a cup and a half in each jar.  I also add one glucosamine tablet and a vitamin E capsule.  I fill twenty jars at a time.  When I refilled the jars this last time I discovered that almost all the vitamin E capsules were stuck in the bottoms, fps.  It's quite the process because the boys are underfoot just waiting for a piece of kibble to drop.  The dry food remaining in the bags is stored in the dog freezer which also has the 10 pounds bags of chicken.  As the jars are emptied they are stored under the island.

Still...


1 comment:

SeeJulieStamp said...

The boys look so handsome! Great pics!