Wednesday, July 1, 2015

First July Finish...3D!

The Classmate, ready to fill and go!

Outside

Inside
Ha!  A bag!!  The spell has been broken and I feel fearless!  Maybe not fearless exactly, but certainly competent enough to try something else.

I took a class at The Cotton Shop yesterday with my neighbor Patty.  I didn't know we would both be there until she called me and so we went together.  Turns out it was just us, plus our teacher Gina and that was a wonderful way to take a class.  Gina was a great teacher!

This bag is designed to hold supplies you might use for taking a class, hence the name Classmate.  It has many pockets, including two that are zippered and one pleated.  We sewed with vinyl, fps, and also a product called Soft and Stable which is a thick interfacing used in purses.  I was scared of it but as everyone who has ever sewn with it will tell you... a piece of cake.

The fabric is from a line called A Stitch in Color by Malka Dubrawski.  She is a fabric printer and I love her work.  I think this is about 4 or 5 years old.  The pattern called for 1/2 a yard for the outside and then 1/2 a yard of another print for the inside.  When I was gathering the fabric I was surprised to discover I had over 6 yards of the outside print.  Really, I did not remember that.  Our teacher found that very funny and also amazing that someone would not know they had 6 yards of a fabric in their stash.  Of course she just doesn't know.

Ahhhh... a finished project on the first day of the month.  This is a very good beginning!

(The outside print just looks like pieced patchwork but is not. They call those cheater prints and have for a hundred years.  It's not a pejorative.)

1 comment:

Carol said...

Congratulations!!! Wow! A bag! It's beautiful.