Friday, December 7, 2012

A Yard Ornament


I have a list of blogs that a check on a regular basis.  Yesterday morning I read a quilt blogger's opinion of pre-cuts and the lack of imagination (she was ranting on the jellyroll race) of those who use what is really created as a marketing strategy.  This woman is a graphic artist and comes from a family of artists.  Still, I let her comments bother me.

Then I got an email from a dear friend and she said that her goal was to complete a quilt top every other day.  That is an amazing goal and she will do it.  Still, I let it bother me.

I have another friend who will say, why are you letting these things bother you?  That thought nagged at me all day. In other words, it bothered me that I was bothered by these things!

So after stewing about this all day, my conclusions are:
  • I am happy to be a follower.  I can change patterns to suit me as needed but I do not need to be an innovator in design.  I'm good where I am.
  • I used to say that I never watched a tv show if I wouldn't want to live next door to the main characters.  Really it should be the same with a blog.  Deleted.
  • I don't need to be intimidated by anyone's goals (or skills) but will just admire them.  To be intimidated is to be diminished.  My sewing goals are between me and Time.  Efficiency is what I will strive for.
  • It's good to be bothered by things.  It's like a small stone in your shoe.  You think, investigate and solve.  If you aren't bothered or don't let yourself be bothered how do you differ from a yard ornament?


No comments: