Saturday, April 12, 2014

Potato Salad, No Mayo

That's not some Amazonian bug sitting on the cookbook but a very handy flashlight!  He does have a snap hook on his tail so he can hook to a jump ring in a purse or to a belt loop but I keep him in the kitchen for when I need to read something very small.  His legs are bendable and can be positioned for maximum spot lighting.  On occasion I twist his back legs so I can clench them in my teeth while holding a book and turning pages.  Very handy.

Here's a fabulous recipe from the book in the picture, one that I will be making often.  MnCarol gave it a great review too.  Since I only buy one potato at a time, this is how I made it:

Ultimate Warm Potato Salad with Quinoa and Peas
    (from Not Your Mother’s Weeknight Cooking by Beth Hensperger)
¼ cup olive oil
8 oz. russet potato
1 small onion, chopped
¾ teaspoon curry powder
¾ cup vegetable broth
6 tablespoons quinoa
A pinch of salt and pepper
½ cup frozen peas

In a deep skillet, warm oil and then over medium high heat, sauté potatoes and onions until onions are translucent, about 8 minutes.   Add curry powder and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring to coat potatoes.  Add broth and bring to a boil.  Stir in quinoa, salt and pepper, cover and reduce heat to simmer.  Simmer about 15 minutes, you don’t want to overcook the potatoes.

Turn off the heat and stir in the peas.  Let stand, covered for 5 minutes then mix gently to fluff.

Makes about 3 one cup servings.