Thursday, August 30, 2018

June-August Baby Quilt

I started this one in June and finished the binding in August.  I was gone 10 days in July and it threw me off in odd ways.  I think I just drifted about in the second half of July not getting much of anything accomplished.  Of course it was bloody hot here and that could have been part of it too.


This is my favorite pattern to use when there is a big bold print for the center.  I had also taken a challenge of making 100 geese units in a month and this quilt alone has 44!

What I learned.  I was intending to machine stitch the binding which means I sew it to the back and fold it over to the front and stitch again.  That was a mistake for two reasons.  I was so unhappy with my attempt at stitching on the front, I ripped out a section three times before giving up on that.  However, by folding from the back to the front, I had more that than a quarter of an inch to stitch down, now by hand.  That extra binding covered all the outside points of the geese.  It would have happened whichever method I used, machine or by hand.  No baby will notice of course, but it surely annoys me.

I took this photo in the early morning before the sun was over the mountain.  The colors look good except the corners are more coral than red.

The quilt measures approx. 45" by 48".

No comments: