Friday, April 3, 2015

Word of the Day

paucity - noun
Per M-W, it means a small amount of something or 
less than the amount of something needed or wanted

In this case, I could say there is a paucity of tulips in the front yard as these are the only three and they are miniatures on top of it all.

But I have been thinking of it lately as it pertains to words.  One of my favorite bloggers took the month of March off and I missed her.  Another one has been redesigning her website since the beginning of the year and today I discovered that she has been using Instagram to touch base periodically.  

I've decided that Instagram, FaceBook, and Twitter (of course!) do not use enough words for me and that is exactly why I avoid them.  There are also more reasons.

What got me started on this train of thought was a piece on the news last night about an "avi" dog.  Now an avi dog sounds like something fun, cute, and perhaps animated, although I did know that they were referring to a real live dog.  Maybe even a shortened version of avitar.  However, if there is an avi dog anywhere around you, it could be that you are in serious danger or even already dead.  An avi dog is an avalanche rescue dog and is trained to find people who are buried.  Avalanche.  Not a good thing and for just a minute I thought perhaps they had shortened the word so someone buried under a ton of snow only had to type three letters to send out a help message.  Eye-rolling, as if you could reach your phone or even have bars.

Done.  Going out to sit on the front steps and smile at those wee tulips.

No comments: