Saturday, April 4, 2015

Eclipse!

I love this kind of stuff!  The beginning of the eclipse started at about 4:15 this morning and I did toy with the idea of setting the alarm an hour earlier just to be in on the beginning but decided that our regular 5am would be fine.

Ha.  I must have been subconsciously aware of the time because I woke up at 4:20, laid there a moment deciding if I really wanted to confuse Min and then got up anyway.

31 degrees meant too cold for me to sit outside and watch but I had a perfect view from the window in the backdoor and kept an eye on things that way.  We didn't take our walk until 6:30 and then we had an amazing view because we were walking west.  With just a slight alteration in our regular path, we stood in front of the county court house for several minutes and had a fabulous view looking west in the space between the temple and the downtown buildings. By then the moon was very low and very large. The earth's shadow was impressive.  Had not thought to slip my camera in my pocket.

There's an odd feeling when standing and watching the shadow move.  I began to think about orbits and rotations and thought perhaps I was getting a little dizzy.  Remembered that gravity is our friend in this case and the feeling passed.


No comments: