Monday, February 16, 2015

Mugs Are Done!

First finish from the Lori Holt book Quilty Fun.  In typical fasion, I am falling behind on this ongoing project.  Strangely though, I am really enjoying the challenge of scrappy fabric selection and the tiny piecing that is involved.  Lori likes cute and most times I find cute just too much.  Plus I am trying to use what I have on hand.

Most of the batiks I used were part of a kit I bought years ago in Delores, CO that I was no longer interested in completing.  Interestingly, it's the batiks that make me think of my sister Nancy.  They give the piece an Asian flavor that would have fit with her decorating.


Because there was a lot of changing of direction in the quilting, the pivot feature on my machine was invaluable.  When the top button of the three is activated and you can tell it is because it is darker, every time you stop stitching the presser foot raises and you can easily pivot.  As soon as you start again, the presser foot drops back to the fabric. It's a fabulous feature.

The quilt finishes at 24" square and is a table mat or a wall hanging. I like how this turned out and with the quilting I chose to do.  I'm thinking I just am not a swirly kind of quilter.