Sunday, February 8, 2015

First February Finish

65 degrees!
A lovely Sunday afternoon.  I retrieved the swing cushions from the garage and enjoyed reading The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry while gently rocking. We were out in the backyard for more than three hours.  In February, fps.
Half of these fabrics are from a line called Flea Market Fancy by Denise Schmidt.  It was so popular that there was a second run released.  For me though the overall feel of this quilt makes me think BoHo or Gypsy.  I am very, very happy with it.  It's a baby quilt size, 42x42 but I have put corners in the back binding so that I can hang it.  It is quilted in a spiral with the quilting lines 3/8 of an inch  apart.

As this was the first time I tried quilting a spiral, I didn't realize that it made a difference in which direction you start.
I chose the wrong way because I always had the bulk of the quilt under the harp of the machine.  Should have been spiraling clockwise.  Of course you can't see a difference on the quilt so that's fine but I have made a note.
The quilt doesn't hang perfectly flat which I suspect is the spiraling quilting so I also sewed in those little hanging corners at the bottom so I can put a dowel rod there and make it look nice and smooth.

It was such a fun quilt to do and the spiraling, while seeming almost endless, was quite addictive and so did not take nearly as long as I thought.  The first three spirals took about 40 minutes but that was because I was sewing in a very tight circle and had to go very slowly to keep it smooth.  I thought about doing the math to get an estimate of the total quilting time.  I thought about this as I was drifting off to sleep but in the morning it dawned on me (hahaha) that I did not have an algorithm for figuring out the change in the curve relating to the speed of sewing as the distance increased. It did take three bobbins to complete the quilt which is a lot for a small quilt.

No comments: