Friday, March 7, 2014

Salad Pizza

mnCarol makes a fabulous salad pizza for her family and every now and again runs a couple of pieces over to me.  The surprise for me is that they use arugula for the greens and I never thought I would really care for arugula.  She makes her pizza for a large family with homemade crust and on sheet cake pans.  Of course, this kind of pizza does not keep for leftovers so I thought I would try it using pita bread.  Perfect!  I could eat them three times a day.  There are a lot of options but this will get you started.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
1 pita bread piece
1 oz. of shredded cheese
a handful of greens
cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
oil for drizzling
balsamic vinegar to drizzle
salt and pepper

Once oven is hot, place bread on a cookie sheet and add shredded cheese.  Carol uses cheddar, I used jack and next time I might try pepper jack.  When cheese has melted, remove from oven.  Add the greens and tomatoes, drizzle with oil, Carol uses olive oil, I used grapeseed oil, and balsamic vinegar.  Sprinkle with salt, Carol uses kosher, I used flaked and coarsely ground pepper.

I just folded mine in half to eat in a tidy way but Dylan was waiting for a tomato to bounce out and hit the floor.  He scored.

No comments: