Monday, February 17, 2014

Fruits & Veggies

In keeping with Meatless Monday, I finished this mini quilt today.  The pattern is a free tutorial out on the web and was popping up everywhere because of Valentine's Day.  I was inspired by the blueberry fabric!  It is a paper piecing pattern and took me more time that I care to admit given the few number of pieces involved.  For me paper piecing is like thinking inside out and backwards.  I really enjoyed the hand stitching which I did with #8 Perle cotton.  I was trying to channel my friend Sheila who does amazing hand stitching but oh, I need quite a bit more practice.  My machine quilting turned out well and made me happy too.

I also bravely tried a facing rather than a binding.  Facings are used most often on small quilts where you don't want to interfere with the "picture".   After the facing is sewn to the right side of the quilt, you sew an eigth of an inch from that seam just as you do in garment sewing to help the facing roll to the back and stay there.  Nonetheless, massive pinning is involved to keep it all in place while the hand sewing is done.  Those are my favorite pins, long, thin and very sharp but I was constantly getting poked by them.  Also of note, that backing fabric is so old that the company is no longer in business!
 
This little quilt is only 15x20 inches, not something I usually do but it was fun to start and finish something in a very short time.

No comments: