Sunday, September 8, 2013

The Problem with NPR

The Sony boom box, from the 90s, for pete's sake, sits on the Ikea bookcase situated between the bathroom and sewing room doors.  I would have cropped out the sewing room but then you wouldn't see that good lookin' dog.

This is a good central location for the radio.  The living room is just a few steps to the right so it booms in there as well as in the kitchen.  Unfortunately, I cannot hear it well when I am at the sewing machine.  Speakers are facing the opposite direction and there is the noise of the sewing machine as well.
The large expanse of black in the foreground is the dog.
So, I resurrected another fabulous radio, an under the counter model by GE.  This was a gift from my sisters in the 80s!  Not only is the sound amazing but it's a clock, a timer and it will start the coffee maker in the morning.
 
Because it is under the counter, the speaker is on the bottom but it has one flat side so we can stand it on end with the speaker facing the sewist.  If I stand in the sewing room doorway, I can even get stereo sound and when passing from one room to the other, I never miss a word.

With the sound situation remedied, it appears that the real problem with NPR is that I don't seem to be able to turn it off.

No comments: