Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2012

A new year.  I usually verbally protest the hoopla surrounding the New Year because I have always associated a new year with September and the beginning of a school.  Not that I am a teacher or even going to school but perhaps it’s just the potential and promise in the air when school starts.  New teachers, new classmates, new things to learn and it doesn’t matter if it’s elementary school or university, the neighborhood here positively hums with excitement.

This year I am excited to start a new year right now!  I’m not sure why exactly but maybe it’s because I feel like I have made real progress in my goal to simplify.  Maybe it’s just because the sun has been out for two days in a row!
I was hoping to move to this year’s word right now but with our four legged visitor for the past two plus weeks, chaos has reigned and even the simplest projects seem overwhelming.  Yesterday I relaxed my vigil and took my eyes off the little guy.  Mistake. 
So there will be a two week delay getting everything as I would like it.  Nothing to stress about.  I won’t start clenching my teeth at night again.  I really want to focus on what’s ahead. 
My favorite blog, Patchwork Times, is written by Judy Laquidara.  Judy starts out each year with a UFO challenge.  If you want to participate you pick out and number 12 unfinished projects.  Judy draws a number each month and that’s the project you work on and hopefully finish once and for all.  This year there is also a color palette challenge each month and of course the Stash Report each week.  I want to play along with Judy!

When I checked this morning, Judy had the Stash Report up.  That was easy, it’s the first week so everyone is starting off at zero.  I set up my spreadsheet.  I went back to Judy’s blog and there was the color palette challenge.  The wheels started spinning.  Again I checked the blog and my goodness she had picked the UFO number!  A bead of sweat broke out on my upper lip.  I stepped away from the computer.  This was going to be too much.  I walked into the living room and gazed at the fabric cabinet.  Then I counted the quilts that were in it.
Seven finished quilts.  Plus one that has already been given away, one that was sold, four that are hanging in the store and for pete’s sake, the one on my bed.  Fourteen finished quilts in 2011.  Okay then bring it on 2012, I can do it!

No comments: