Sunday, August 21, 2016

Parsnips? What?

I know, I have a thing about my Spiralizer but when I saw this recipe that uses spiralized parsnips, I was surprised and eager to try it.  The only time I have used parsnips is in a beef stew.  Jimmy Wilson used them diced in his pastie recipe along with potatoes and carrots.  They have a sweet taste similar to carrots but different.

It was a little tricky to spiralize the parsnips I found because they were not very large.  Also not every store here carries them.  That did not surprise me but I hope maybe next week to get to the Provo Farmers' Market and perhaps find some there.

It was all I could do not to eat the entire pan of this!

Broccoli, Parsnip, and Sausage “Pasta”  adapted from Skinnytaste.com

2 cups bite-sized broccoli pieces
1/2 lb. Mild Italian Sausage
1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 parsnips, peeled, spiralized, noodles trimmed
2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 cup quartered mushrooms, optional
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
kosher salt and black pepper
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Place a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the sausage and oregano and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon 6 to 8 minutes, until browned. Transfer to a plate.  

Add the broccoli to the skillet with the garlic, mushrooms, and red pepper flakes and cook about 2 minutes, then add broth and parsnip noodles and cook until the noodles are al dente, about 5 minutes.
Return sausage to the skillet, add the cheese and stir to combine. 


2 servings


No comments: